Dr. Alexander. Wilson was the first Medical Superintendent at Meanwood Park Hospital from 1939 to 1962.
In 1961 construction began on the first new building at Meanwood Park since the inception of the NHS. The total cost including equipment was about £60,000. The new villa was opened by Dr Alexander H Wilson on Saturday 30th May 1964 at 3pm. The architects were Messrs. Alan Burnett and Partners in association with the architect to the Leeds Regional Hospital Board. The consulting engineers were Messrs. Sandford and Partners in association with the regional engineer. The main contractors were Messrs. Matthew and Sons (contractors) Ltd. The heating engineer contractors were Messrs. Albert Scott Ltd. The electrical engineering contractors were Messrs. B C S Electrics Ltd.
During 1971 the villa was redecorated and a small room constructed for teaching purposes. During 1974 – 75 a large playroom area was added to the villa at a cost of £19,000, the contractor being JBS Perry. The heating system was improved. A road for laundry vans was laid to the villa in September 1976. Bathrooms were improved in 1985 and the villa subdivided into two areas for patient care as young people began to replace children as the main occupants of the villa.
Because of the shortage of nursing staff, the new villa could be brought into use only slowly. There were about 90 cases on the waiting list for admission to the hospital.
The Alexandra Wilson villa (later became Beechwood).The mainly younger residents from here moved to purpose built bungalows at Stainbeck Road and Gledhow Park Drive .