The Growth of Meanwood Park Hospital
In 1928 a limited competition was held and the plans of Messrs J M Sheppard and Partners, Architects of London were selected for a ‘colony’ which provided for ultimate extension up to 900 places, divided into male, female and children all grouped round central buildings.
The first section was opened by Councillor Arthur Hawkyard M.D., LL.D., J.P., during his Chairmanship of the Mental Health Service Committee on 3rd October 1932. This development provided for the accommodation of a further 328 residents in ten villas and brought the total number of places to 433. (Villas 2, 5, 6,7,10, 11, 13 and part of school.)